Remains ID announced May 27, 2008
Group burial scheduled 06/17/2010  Arlington, 3 pm

Name: Barclay Bingham Young
Rank/Branch: O3/US Air Force
Unit: 16th Special Operations Squadron, Ubon Airfield, Thailand
Date of Birth: 06 August 1938
Home City of Record: Ft. Lauderdale FL
Date of Loss: 29 March 1972
Country of Loss: Laos
Loss Coordinates: 163900N 1060600E (XD165414)
Status (in 1973): Missing In Action
Category: 2
Acft/Vehicle/Ground: AC130A
Refno: 1807

Other Personnel In Incident: Henry Brauner; Howard Stephenson; James
Caniford; Curtis D. Miller; Robert Simmons; Edwin Pearce (all missing);
Edward Smith; Richard Halpin; Irving Ramsower; Richard Castillo; Charles
Wanzel; Merlyn Paulson; William Todd; (remains returned)

Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 01 March 1991 from one or more of
the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence
with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W.


SYNOPSIS: On the night of March 29, 1972, an AC130A Hercules "Spectre"
gunship departed Ubon Airfield, Thailand on a night reconnaissance mission
over supply routes used by North Vietnamese forces in Laos. The crew of the
aircraft consisted of pilots Maj. Irving B. Ramsower II and 1Lt. Charles J.
Wanzel III, and crew members Maj. Henry P. Brauner, Maj. Howard D.
Stephenson, Capt. Curtis D. Miller, Capt. Barclay B. Young, Capt. Richard
Castillo, Capt. Richard C. Halpin, SSgt. Merlyn L. Paulson, SSgt. Edwin J.
Pearce, SSgt. Edward D. Smith Jr., SSgt. James K. Caniford; and Airmen First
Class William A. Todd and Robert E. Simmons.

As the aircraft was in the jungle foothills 56 miles east of Savannakhet in
southern Laos, it was shot down by a Russian Surface to Air Missile (SAM).
U.S. government sources stated in February 1986 that a fighter escort plane
reported that the aircraft crashed in a fireball, no parachutes were seen,
nor was radio contact made with the AC130 or any of its crew. However,
family members were later told that a support plane traveling with the AC130
heard radio signals indicating that there were survivors. The support
aircraft plane left the area to refuel. When it returned, there were no
signs of life. Because of enemy concentration, rescue teams could not get
into the area.

A clandestine Pathet Lao news agency release stated:

"The U.S. imperialists on the night of March 30 sent aircraft to attack the
liberated zone in Savannakhet Province, Southern Laos. An L.P.L.A.
antiaircraft unit shot down on the sopt a U.S. AC-130 in addition to another
American AC-130 which had been shattered over the same province early
morning on March 29. Many U.S. crewmen aboard these planes were killed."

The Air Force reviewed this release and stated that no AC-130 had been shot
down on March 30; however, one had been lost at that location on March 31,
but the crew had all been rescued. The report, although distorted, was
believed to relate to the Young aircraft.

Several years later, the inscribed wedding band of Curtis Miller was
recovered by a reporter and returned to Miller's family. The existence of
the ring suggests to Miller's mother that the plane did not burn, and gives
her hope that he survived.

A May 1985 article appearing in a Thai newspaper stated that the bodies of
Simmons and Wanzel were among 5 bodies brought to the base camp of Lao
Liberation forces. The same article reported a group of 21 Americans still
alive, held prisoner at a camp in Khammouane Province, Laos.

The U.S. and Laos excavated this aircraft's crash site in February 1986. The
teams recovered a limited number of human bone fragments, personal effects
and large pieces of plane wreckage. It was later announced by the U.S.
Government that the remains of Castillo, Halpin, Ramsower, Simmons, Todd,
Paulson, Pearce, Wanzel and Smith had been positively identified.

In a previous excavation at Pakse, Laos in 1985, remains recovered were
positively identified as the 13 crew members, although independent examiners
later proved that only 2 of those identifications were scientifically
possible. The U.S. Government has acknowledged the errors made in
identification on two of the men, but these two individuals are still
considered "accounted for".

Because of the identification problems of the first excavation, the families
of the Savannakhet AC130 have carefully considered the information given
them about their loved ones. The families of Robert Simmons and Edwin Pearce
have actively resisted the U.S. Government's identification, which is in
both cases based on a single tooth. These families do not know if their men
are alive or dead, but will insist that the books are kept open until proof
dictates that there is no longer any hope for their survival.

Nearly 600 Americans were lost in Laos during the Vietnam war, and many were
known to have survived their loss incident. However, the U.S. did not
negotiate with Laos for these men, and consequently, not one American held
in Laos has ever been released.

Barclay B. Young was promoted to the rank of Major during the period he was
maintained Missing in Action.



May 27, 2008

Airmen MIA From Vietnam War are Identified

The Department of Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office (DPMO) announced today that the remains of four U.S. servicemen, missing in action from the Vietnam War, have been identified and will be returned to their families for burial with full military honors.

They are Maj. Barclay B. Young, of Hartford, Conn.; and Senior Master Sgt. James K. Caniford, of Brunswick, Md. The names of the two others are being withheld at the request of their families. All men were U.S. Air Force. Caniford will be buried May 28 in Arlington National Cemetery near Washington, D.C., and Young's burial date is being set by his family.

Remains that could not be individually identified are included in a group which will be buried together in Arlington. Among the group remains is Air Force Lt. Col. Henry P. Brauner of Franklin Park, N.J., whose identification tag was recovered at the crash site.

On March 29, 1972, 14 men were aboard an AC-130A Spectre gunship that took off from Ubon Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand, on an armed reconnaissance mission over southern Laos. The aircraft was struck by an enemy surface-to-air missile and crashed. Search and rescue efforts were stopped after a few days due to heavy enemy activity in the area.

In 1986, joint U.S.- Lao People's Democratic Republic teams, lead by the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC), surveyed and excavated the crash site in Savannakhet Province, Laos. The team recovered human remains and other evidence including two identification tags, life support items and aircraft wreckage. From 1986 to 1988, the remains were identified as those of nine men from this crew.

Between 2005 and 2006, joint teams resurveyed the crash site and excavated it twice. The teams found more human remains, personal effects and crew-related equipment. As a result, JPAC identified Young, Caniford and the other crewmen using forensic identification tools, circumstantial evidence, mitochondrial DNA and dental comparisons.


Discovery Of Remains Brings Closure To Son Of Vietnam Casualty
Hartford Courant - United States
The 2006 excavation was the third search of the Laos site by the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command, which searches sites across the globe for the remains of ...